Sunday, June 9, 2013

I-69 to I-65 to I-40...

...Or some route like that. 
Recently a coworker asked if I'd ever been to Memphis. 
I have been. I took a road trip alone when I was young. 
My fiancé at the time thought it was ludicrous. I thought it was wholly necessary. 
(This could, in fact, be the entire premise on which our proposed nuptials failed. The guy did not get me. Not for a moment.)
I wore a bandana on my head, and long, comfortable, flowy skirts. 
I stopped through Nashville for some reason, and changed clothes in a parking garage. That was my entire virgin Nashville experience...changing outfits in a parking garage!
I listened to whatever music I wanted. I talked to the truckers with my headlights. 
Once I got to Memphis, I was disappointed by: Sun Studios, and Saint Jude's Children's Research Hospital. I didn't even go into Graceland. 
However, I did recommend all these stops to my coworker. She will plan tours ahead. I believe if I'd done that, I'd have gotten a different outcome. 
But I planned nothing for my venture. Which is the key point of this tale. 
The entire thing was fully spontaneous. 
Which is why the events I remember most vividly were the most random. 
Near Sun Studios was a diner. They had eggs and toast. A couple of old guys with motorcycles were there while I got my grub. These guys told me *they* could show me the real Memphis. 
Of course they could, why not??  I knew tons of grizzly old dudes that rode Harleys. Most of them were my relatives. 
So, I went for it. 
It was perfect. 
I got the Graceland "tour" from outside the fence, no money paid. 
I got an awesome ride. I got tons of tips about local restaurants and points of interest. 
They told me about the best of Beale Street; where to stop, where to pass by. 
Perhaps I could have been assaulted, or abducted, or worse?  
Perhaps...but I wasn't. 
I would never do that now. But then?  Then it was perfect. And perfectly fine. 
There was a purity then. One that will never be recreated. 
And that's okay, as well. 
But I'm glad, more than glad, that I did that route, that way, that one time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment